Reporting to the President, the Director of Purchasing is responsible for the timely, cost-effective procurement and management of materials, equipment and tooling. Although a senior role, the successful candidate is expected to engage directly at a hands-on working level, contributing to overall team deliverables. Responsible for managing a national supply base that supports Hematite’s regional manufacturing and end-customer quality and delivery needs. This position is also pivotal to ensuring continued strong financial performance contributing to revenue, margin, and working capital achievement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establishing and maintaining measurable performance metrics for all levels of procurement activities (Materials, Equipment and Tooling), to include but not limited, to supplier performance, supplier quality, internal order placement performance, buyer activity levels, and material shortage elimination.
- Report to management the measurable status of progress and corrective actions as it pertains to supplier performance.
- Create, negotiate and execute purchase orders or vendor contracts as needed to support the business needs.
- Manage material flow to insure inventory is maintained to the optimum level to support on time customer deliveries while keeping inventory holdings at the appropriate levels.
- Strategically develop and implement commodity/supply chain strategies covering all commodities, services and supplier processes to deliver maximum value, leverage, and standardization.
- Lead the process to drive cost out of the supply chain by managing the following: Commodity and negotiation strategies including Terms and Conditions Supplier selection/de-selection, evaluation and rationalization of Supply chain solutions, including vendor managed inventory (VMI), supplier consignment, safety stock levels, etc.
- Drives usage of cost models to validate commodity strategies and to understand significant cost drivers.
- Manages all activities that develop relationships with suppliers.
- Provides commodity support to New Program Teams as required to meet target costs and establish program cost models.
- Provides leadership, guidance and direction to Purchasing staff, establishing team and individual development plans and performance goals that align with company objectives and the Annual Operating Plan.
- Manages materials savings initiatives in line with profit plan and overall business objectives.
- Professional negotiation / listening skills
- Outstanding leadership, coaching, and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and sustain strong relationships at all levels with direct staff, internal partners, and suppliers
- Strong computer skills, ideally with experience using Windows-based PC programs.
- Expertise using Database Systems Management Software
- Ability to coordinate multiple group efforts within the company to achieve objectives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Professional / Credible approach to problem resolution/conflict resolution.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, with awareness of deadlines.
- Familiarity with ISO 14001 and IATF 16949 requirements.
- Ability to identify processes needing improvement, and to formalize improvements.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 7-10 years’ progressive experience in Purchasing & Sourcing with extensive experience in the automotive manufacturing industry.
- Solid track record meeting substantial material cost reduction targets.
- Bachelor’s degree in Purchasing, Production/Operations Management, or Engineering or equivalent business experience.
- NAPM (A.P.P. C.P.M.) or APICS (CPIM, CIRM) certification preferred.
- Understanding of suppliers manufacturing processes and experience sourcing Plastics, Fibrous and Moldable commodities, an asset.
- New Product Introduction experience, an asset.