Reporting to the VP of Engineering, the Product Applications Engineer is responsible for the technical lead activities for our acoustical and air/water automotive components. Responsible as the lead liaison with our customers’ Engineering teams to ensure Hematite has the best opportunity to develop customer satisfying products with the goal to secure awards in support of growth targets.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates the design and development of parts and prototypes to meet customer/Hematite timing, cost and performance expectations. Ensures needed alignment of product design to manufacturing and environmental requirements at Hematite.
- Interfaces with the customer engineer to obtain and ensure that the latest design information (math data and packaging information) is available for the Hematite design team.
- Communicates design direction and customer technical requirements including product and material specifications to the Hematite Engineering Department and program teams. Participants and supports the team to check and approve all part design information prior to its release, including GD&T where applicable.
- Attends and takes lead role design reviews with APQP team members and incorporates design suggestions whenever possible. Participates in APQP activities.
- Responsible for obtaining design/drawing information, Engineering Requirements/Specifications, managing Hematite design change requests and critical characteristics approval from the customer.
- Works with the appropriate customer design personnel and attends program meetings at the customer’s location as required. Will require ability to travel to customer and company plants to support launch process.
- Completes specific requirements such as Design FMEA’S and DVP&R’S as required and maintains an Open Issues log for design and manufacturing issues.
- Closely works with Account managers to strategize customer target programs and strategies to win business.
- Inputs required BOM to develop costs for products using our Plex system.
- Studies industry trends related to our business and attends relevant conferences to support knowledge growth.
- Able to technically develop an understanding of materials used (HDPE and non-wovens primarily, but also fiberglass and extruded materials) as well as various processes used (compression, vacuum forming, and extrusion). Ability to assist internally and externally with the development of new and improved materials.
- Actively participates in TS16949 and ISO14001 activities as appropriate.
- Other assignments as required.
- Proven external ability to interact successfully with OEM’s or Tier 1 customers. Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and sustain relationships at all levels with internal peers and suppliers.
- Strong computer skills, ideally with experience using Windows-based PC programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, with awareness of deadlines.
- Familiarity with ISO 14001 and IATF 16949 requirements.
- Ability to identify processes needing improvement, and to recommend improvements.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 5-10 years’ progressive experience in Engineering product development with extensive experience in the automotive launch process. industry in a small to mid size organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering. Ideally Mechanical or Materials based degree.
- Understanding of automotive acoustics and aerodynamics a plus.